About the Apostille
Apostille is one of the legal regimes to recognize the validity of Ukrainian documents to be used abroad. The apostille emerged as an alternative and universal procedure to confirm the validity of foreign documents. Unlike consular legalization, affixing the apostille takes less time and the apostille documents can be used in different countries rather than in one.
In order for education documents to be valid abroad they must undergo consular legalization or the apostille affixing unless there is an agreement between the countries to cancel or simplify their legalization procedure.
The apostille is to certify the signature of the person who signed the document, as well as the authenticity of the seal or stamp affixed to it.
Apostille is a stamp not less than 10x10 cm in size, affixed either on a document or on a separate special sheet that is flashed together with the document.
Since October 1, 2011 MESYS has introduced additional protection for the apostille design. Now in the upper right corner of the stamp the apostille must contain a holographic image of 13x25 mm, which shows the State Emblem of Ukraine and the name of the Ministry.
In Ukraine the right to affix the apostille is vested to the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine, the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine is vested in affixing the apostille to official documents referring to the sphere of education and science.
The State Enterprise "Information and Image Center" of the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine (http://apostille.in.ua) performs the functions of the National Academic Mobility Information Center (CMU Resolution of 31.08.2011 No. 924). In particular, the Centre's powers include verifying the authenticity of education documents issued by educational institutions of Ukraine and other countries. The result of the positive review is affixing the Apostille stamp to the education documents by the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine, which confirms the validity of their issuance to the competent bodies for recognition in other countries. "The Information and Image Center" does not only prepare the documents submitted for the Ministry's decision on affixing the Apostille stamp, it operates on the principle of a "one-stop window" to ensure maximum convenience when applying to the Ministry for the Apostille.
The Documents to which the Apostille of MESYS of Ukraine is affixed.
The Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine affixes the apostille to the documents on education or scientific degree issued by educational institutions, state bodies, enterprises, institutions and organizations. These documents include education certificates, diplomas and annexes to them, curricula, advanced training certificates, diplomas and certificates of obtaining an academic degree, etc. The documents must correspond to the state standard accepted in the territory of Ukraine at the time of their issue. The apostille is affixed only to the originals of the education documents. Copies to affix the apostille are not accepted. In addition, the document will not be accepted if:
- the document is intended to be used in the country which has not acceded to the Hague Convention or is a state party of the Convention but has objected to Ukraine's accession under Article 12 of the Convention;
- the text of the document cannot be read due to damage;
- the document is written or signed with a pencil or obtained through facsimile communication;
- the document contains unconditional corrections or memos;
- the document, namely: archival certificate, curriculum, certificate does not contain the signature of the rector or a vice rector and is not stamped;
- if the MESUS of Ukraine failed to obtain the samples of the relevant signatures, prints and / or stamps to confirm the fact that the education document was issued;
- if the signature on the document does not match the position, name, surname or patronymic of the head of the educational institution.
The List of Apostille Recognition Countries.
The Apostille is affixed to the Ukrainian documents that are to be used in the territories of the States Parties of the Convention which abolishes the requirement of legalization of foreign official documents (The Hague Convention). The list of the States Parties is given below.
The List of the States Parties of the Convention abolishing the requirement of legalization Foreign Official Documents of 1961 (Apostille).
* - the countries whose education documents do not require a compulsory apostille stamp, since Ukraine has bilateral or multilateral treaties with these countries containing the provisions on the recognition of the documents without additional certification. But the presence of the apostille stamp will greatly speed up the process of recognizing education documents.
In addition, the education documents issued in such countries as Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan do not require additional certification (the Apostille stamp, consular legalization).
All other countries that have not acceded to the Hague Convention and with which Ukraine does not have bilateral or multilateral treaties, apply the procedure of consular legalization of educational documents.
The countries for which Apostille is not required
- If documents are prepared for the country which has not acceded to the Hague Convention and is not on the list of States Parties it is necessary to submit the documents for the consular legalization procedure. To do this, contact the Apostille and Demand Department of the Consular Service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine:
01018, Kyiv, Velyka Zhytomyrska St., 2 tel .: +380 44 238 16 69.
- If the documents are prepared for presentation in a country which has signed the Hague Convention but has signed an agreement between our countries to cancel or simplify the procedure for document legalization, no apostille is required. If, however, a foreign institution still requires the documents with the apostille, the Ministry of Education, Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine will not refuse to affix it. These countries include most of the countries of the former Soviet Union, as well as some other countries. In the list of the States Parties such countries are marked with an asterisk - "*". In these countries Ukrainian documents must be accepted without the Apostille.