Nostrification of diplomas and certificates in Ukraine
If a foreign student plans to continue his education in Ukraine, he or she must undergo the procedure of recognition of education documents (nostrification).
Nostrification of foreign diplomas and certificates is the recognition of aforeign education level in Ukraine.
In Ukraine the nostrification of foreign diplomas is carried out by the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports (State Enterprise "Information and Image Center"). Website http://nostrification.net.ua.
SE "Information and Image Center" (hereinafter - the Center) performs the functions of the National Information Center of Academic Mobility (Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of August 31, 2011 No. 924). In particular, the Centre's powers include the verification of the authenticity of education documents issued by the educational institutions of foreign countries, as well as the organization of expertise to determine the qualification equivalence assigned in accordance with education documents issued by educational institutions of foreign countries.
The final result of the documents authenticity and determining the qualification equivalence is the decision of the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine to recognize a foreign education document in Ukraine.
The center operates on the principle of "a single-stop window". This provides maximum convenience as well as transparency in the process of education documents recognition by the Ministry of Education and Science, Youth and Sports of Ukraine.
In order for a foreign education document to be valid in Ukraine either for further employment or continuing educationtherecognitionprocedureis to be carried out. That is to determine the conformity of academic and professional rights as well as educational and educational-qualification levels of foreign education (qualification) documents to the state educational standards of Ukraine.
In Ukraine the procedure for the recognition of education documents issued by educational institutions of other countries provides:
- Authentication of foreign education documents submitted for the recognition, i.e.verification of authenticity of the fact of study and receiving an education document. If you provide legalized documents with the Apostille stamp or consular legalization, this is sufficient to confirm the authenticity of the documents. Therefore, they will not require verification of the fact of the issue, which will greatly speed up the recognition process. But you have a choice: you can certify your documents in accordance with the international legislation or have them checked by the Center staff.
- Verification of the official recognition of the educational institution that issued the education document by the educational system of the country to which it belongs. This stage involves checking the existence of the state accreditation certificate of the educational institution and the licenses at the time of issuing you an education document.
- Determining the qualification equivalence specified in a foreign education document to the requirements of the educational or qualification levels of the educational system of Ukraine (carried out with the involvement of expert commissions in the respective specialties).
- Comparative analysis of curricula, that is a comparison of curricula both in the content and scope conducted by the educational institution of Ukraine accredited in the same specialty as indicated in the applicant's diploma. If there is no such specialty inUkraine, then the closest of the existing ones is chosen.
The recognition procedure may result in:
Recognition, on the basis of which the Certificate of the foreign education document recognition is issued. If some additional conditions (additional training, competency testing or other actions which make it impossible to continue education or employment in Ukraine) are determined to qualify a holder of the education documents, the applicant shall be informed accordingly. In such a case, the holder of the education documents must pass the examinations in the academic disciplines indicated by the experts. He/she selects on his/her own a higher educational institution for testing and then the Center staff will help to organize the examination in the educational institution chosen. In this case, the terms for the document recognition procedure are extended until the Center receives positive test results.
Refusal to recognize the education document submitted, to which the applicant is sent a corresponding notice indicating the reasons for making such a decision.
As a result of the recognition procedure, the holder of foreign education documents receives a certificate confirming the right of the holder of the documents issued by an educational institution of another country to continue his education or professional employment in Ukraine.
The documents which are not the subject to the recognition procedure in Ukraine include:
- Documents issued by the educational institutions that are not officially recognized (accredited) in the educational system of the state to which they belong;
- Documents issued by the affiliates of educational institutions, if such affiliates are not officially recognized (accredited) in the educational system of the state in which they carry out educational activities;
- Documents that do not contain information about receiving by the holder of the document a certain educational or educational-qualification level, specialization or professional retraining;
- Documents that do not meet an officially accepted standard for education documents registration, if such standard is adopted in the country to which the institution belongs;
- Documents issued as a result of study under a program that cannot be correlated with any educational or educational-qualification level and (or) the direction of training (specialty, qualification) of the educational system of Ukraine;
- Documents that do not contain sufficient information about the content of the curriculum, which makes it impossible to determine the equivalence of the qualifications assigned by these documents to the educational or educational qualification level of the educational system of Ukraine.
Education documents of the citizens of the former USSR, issued before May 15, 1992, do not require recognition in Ukraine, because under Article 5 of the Agreement on Cooperation in the Field of Education, signed in Tashkent in 1992, the member states guarantee in their territory permanent recognition of the education documents issued in the Member States before signing the abovementioned Agreement. The Member States are: the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Republic of Belarus, the Republic of Armenia, the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, the Republic of Moldova, the Russian Federation, the Republic of Tajikistan, the Republic of Turkmenistan and the Republic of Uzbekistan.
List of documents
The following documents are required to complete the recognition procedure:
- Application. The application is filled out in Ukrainian clearly, legibly, without correction – this information is used in the process of processing your documents. In order for the responsible specialist to quickly respond to you rrequest, please provide your full contact information (telephone, e-mail).
- Consent to the use (verification) of personal data. Persons who have received a certificate of education in the country where the Russian language is used must fill out the application in Russian. For all others, the application is completed in English.
- Notarized copy of a legalized foreign education document (a document containing the Apostille stamp or consular legalization, except for the countries with which Ukraine has bilateral or multilateral agreements containing provisions on recognition of documents without additional certification (without legalization)), certified with a notarized translation into Ukrainian.
- A notarized copy of a legalized supplement to a foreign education document, certified by a notarized translation into Ukrainian. The document provides information on the form and term of study, the list of academic disciplines (subjects), the total (weekly) amount of lectures and individual classes (credits), the number of semesters and othe rcomponents of the educational process. If the supplement to a foreign education documentis published in Russian, It is not necessary to translate it. However, you must provide a notarized copy of this document.
- Notarial certification of the copies of the documents (translated intoUkrainian) is carried out by both public and private notaries of Ukraine.
- Copies of the documents on previous higher or vocational education (if any).
- A copy of the identity document of an applicant and / or a holder of a foreign education document.
- A copy of the document on the name change of a holder of a foreign education document (if available).
- A power of attorney (in case of the submission of a package of the documents by another person).
- A request for implementation of the recognition procedure (in case of the submission of a package of the documents by an educational institution of Ukraine).
- A copy of the invitation (to the persons who have received the invitation to study from the Ukrainian universities).
- An administrative service payment receipt or a copy of the document confirming the right to exemption.
- The documents for recognition can be submitted by their holder as well as by another person who represents his/her interests in recognition issues on the basis of a notarized power of attorney.
- An applicant is responsible for drawing up a package of the documents.
If the documents provided by the applicant are not fully submitted or not properly executed, they shall be returned to the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine within 10 working days from the date of registration, to which the applicant will be notified.
The order of submission
To begin the process of recognizing an educational document you are:
- to draw up a package of documents;
-to submit the completed package of the documents in one of the following ways:
- send by a regular mail to:
01135, Kyiv, PO Box 147, State Enterprise "Information-Image Center" or
- send by a courier to:
01135, Kyiv, Pavlovska St., building 26/41, State Enterprise "Information and Image Center".
The originals of the education documents (see section "List of documents") are not sent by post but are provided directly during the personal reception at the Center and after verification by a specialist they are returned to the applicant.
The package of the documents is processed within 10 working days from the moment of its receipt and registration. During this time the Center specialists check the completeness of a package of the documents and the correctness of their execution.
If the documents provided by the applicant are not fully completed and (or) incorrectly executed, they are returned to the applicant without consideration on the merits with notification.
If the documents provided by the applicant are fully completed, they are submitted for consideration on the merits and the applicant is informed of the necessity of presenting the originals of the documents at his personal reception.